Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Spinning Day - Beauty And The Beast

Another Spinning Day and what loveliness to behold! The indescribably soft hand-dyed superfine merino/silk has been plyed and washed...

















And would like to introduce itself: 630 Yards of Amazing Laceweight to be knit into a small shawl of a yet to be determined pattern.
Until the perfect pattern can be found for this beauty, work has begun on the big silver beast.

















I won ths in a raffle at my local spinning guild a few months ago. You think this is alot, it came with the same amount of brown fiber as well. Remembe what your mother always said, "You get what you pay for." This is a huge pile of rough ugliness if you ask me and it appears to have been very roughly carded and dizzed into near pencil strips of batting. This is nearly impossible to draft and has a small amount of vegetable matter to boot. But sometimes you have to kiss a frog to get a...well I'll be happy to get Poindexter. (Ok, apparently you all are too young to remember the Mystery Date game. I'll have you know my sister and I played this game so much that the little tabs on the door wore out and we always got the dud.)

I wanted to get a rough single from this beast so I am doing a modified long draw and it appears to be working. As you can see, I have a long way to go. My intended project for this yarn is the Hong Kong Garden Faux Fair Isle Raglan from the Spin To Knit book by Shannan Okey. I flipped through a friend's copy of this book a month ago and fell in love with this sweater. I looked everywhere for a picture to post for all to see but alas there is not one on the internet. I still have to purchase the book but as you can see by my pile of ugliness that I have a while yet before I'll need it.

I'll keep you all posted. And in the mean time, leave no doors unopended (and no raffle prize unclaimed) because you never know when you will..."Open the door for your Mystery Date"

2 comments: