Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Sweater In The Desert

After leaving Long Beach on Monday afternoon, we headed down to San Diego and spent the next few days visiting with family and saying our "good-byes".  Thursday morning, we pointed the van East and headed into the desert.  By early evening, we had crossed over into Arizona.  This prompted cheers from the girls and I simply had to get out of the car and do the "I can't believe I'm actually leaving California and going to Tennessee" Victory Dance.













I don't recommend that you try this unless traffic is light and you absolutely cannot contain yourself.
We spent the night in Lake Havasu and enjoyed a rousing chorus of "London Bridges Falling Down" while we drove over the London Bridge.  (Did you know there are actually about 7 verses to this song? And if you are a three year old all of them contain the word "poopie".)










As some of you know who read my earlier post, I have been knitting my daughter a sweater to match her doll's sweater.  I finished the shoulders in San Diego and am working on the sleeves as we travel through the desert.  I wanted my daughter to show progress on the sweater at each of the sites we encounter.


















Here she is at noon in front of a fountain in Lake Havasu with the London Bridge in the background.  Just one and 1/4 sleeves left to go.
And look where we ended up this evening just before sunset.  Doesn't this just take your breath away?


















What a Grand Canyon it is and what an amazing country we live in.  My moments of awe were interrupted by trying to explain to my six year old the wonders of our Maker and trying to keep my three year old from meeting hers.  I did however find a moment to snap my model in her sweater.













One sleeve complete and 1/2 to go.

The last space of my blog posts on this trip, I will reserve for nuggets from my husband's vast resources of knowledge, wit and boredom.  This is a direct quote from today after he saw what he thought were buzzards circling in the desert: "There was a midget that died in the desert.  Noone knew it until they saw the hummingbird circling overhead."

MORE TO COME...

7 comments:

  1. Oh I SO enjoyed this post. Tell hubby I laughed out loud. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa Zurn-DeckerApril 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM

    I love hearing about your journey! Makes me feel like I'm on a little vacation. Keep blogging I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pics and stories :)
    Too funny! Let's keep Abby alive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nani Lauriano LuculescuApril 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

    Yes, keep those pictures & great stories coming! You are a great writer & so fun Carin. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz Zaragoza GuerriniApril 18, 2010 at 10:33 AM

    love hearing about your trip across the country with the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE IT! I'm so very happy for you though i miss you oodles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kathy Pierce MooreApril 20, 2010 at 9:05 AM

    Love the pic. You still got the moves girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete